Creating a Board And Batten Wall
Nothing adds sophistication and a classic flair to a room quite like a board and batten wall. The good news is that you don’t need to buy an older property to have this in your house. You can easily add it yourself following our steps below.
What you need
- MDF boards around 8cm wide, the length and amount dependent on the height and width of your wall
- 8cm MDF boards, amount and length will depend on the width of your wall and distance between vertical boards
- Wood glue
What to do
- Before doing anything, measure out the wall you want to add the feature to. Ideally you want to go up to around ¾ of your wall’s height with the boards around 60cm apart. If you can’t fit the planks into the width of your wall at 60cm apart, change the spacing to suit your space. It’s more important to maintain an equal distance between your planks.
- Measure the placement of your planks out on your wall and mark it with a pencil before measuring again the make sure your spacing is equal between the boards. Then run a bead of wood glue down a board, place on your wall and nail in on each end. Repeat this until all your vertical boards are attached to the wall.
- Once you know the distance between your vertical boards, have your other boards cut to fit between the boards. You want to add 2 horizontal boards between each vertical board – 1 about 2/3 up and the other right at the top to square your feature off nicely.
- Now follow the same procedure as before, running glue down the length of each board and nailing it to the wall. It’s important to ensure that your horizontal boards are level.
- Allow your glue to dry then go over your entire wall, filling any holes or gaps with a wood filler. Let it dry and sand it down until smooth.
- Once you’re done with this, prime your walls to prep it for your paint. Allow enough time to dry.
- Once your primer is dry, paint your walls in any colour you want. You can paint it a feature colour to make it stand out more, or paint the whole room the same colour for a subtle detail.
- Allow the paint to dry and move your furniture in.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.