DIY Window Trim
A window trim doesn’t seem like a DIY Project that can blow someone away but you’d be surprised! It can actually add a crisp look to any room that is needing a bit of character. This trim is so easy that anyone who knows how to cut in a straight line can do this. Before we get started, please note that the sizes will vary depending on the size of your window.
- 2 pieces of 1m × 2m planks
- 2 pieces of 1m x 4m planks
- 2 pieces of 1m ×6m planks
- Brad nails
- Wood screws
- Trim caulk
- Jigsaw (or whatever type of saw you prefer)
- For the window sill – Cut the 1×6 plank to the width of the window plus 10 inches to leave an excess of 5 inches on each side. Once cut to size, hold the plank up against the bottom of the window and mark where to cut out the corners to fit into the window base. Use the Brad nails to attach the plank once you’re happy with the fit.
- For the sides of the trim, hold your 1×4 plank up on each side of the window and mark where to cut the length. You could use a measuring tape but this way might be easier. Use Brad nails to put them in place.
- For the top trim, cut the other piece of the 1×6 plank the same length as the window sill. Cut the 1×2 plank pieces using the same length as the 1×6. Use wood screws to secure the 1×2 plank to the top and bottom of the 1×6 plank.
- Then use brad nails to attach the header to the top of the window and make sure to secure them into studs in the wall.
- Add a 1×4 plank under the window sill.
- Use a caulk gun to fill any gaps.
- Give the wood to coats of paint- and you’re done!
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.