How to fit a light fixture
What you will need:
- Light fixture of choice
- Screw hooks
- Power drill (Use appropriate drill bit sizes)
- Voltage tester
- Switch off power fuse before drilling.
- Map out drilling area (hole diameters, etc.), ensuring no cable or pipes will obstruct drilling position.
- Once drilling area is mapped out, you can start drilling.
- When drilling is done insert the fixings by knocking them in with a hammer.
- Turn in the screw hooks and fit the fixture into position.
- Connect the light fixture.
- Use a voltage checker to check that the cables are voltage-free before proceeding.
- The outer conductor cable is marked with an ‘L” and is brown or black in colour.
- The neutral conductor is marked with an “N” and is blue in colour.
- The protective earth conductor “PE” is green-yellow in colour. (This is not always present).
- Connect all wires to terminal with corresponding colours.
- In the case of the “PE” wire not being present on the terminal, position the wires to not make any contact with the terminal.
- Check that all wires are firmly fixed in the terminal.
- Before fitting fixture to ceiling do a function test, when switching on the fuse the fixture should light up.
- Once the fixture lights up, fix into position.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.