How to replace a broken tile
Don’t let one little broken tile ruin your floor. Follow our project and learn how to replace a broken tile.
What you will need:
- Grout Saw OR Rotary Saw
- Cement adhesive
- Cement spreader
- Spare tiles
- Grout floater
- Grout sealant
- To remove the old tiles without damaging the surrounding tiles scrape away the old grout using a grout saw or a rotary saw with a grout removal attachment
- Once you have removed the surrounding grout, place a cloth over the tile and smash it up with a hammer – don’t hit too hard or you could break surrounding tiles.
- Chip away the remaining adhesive or cement using a hammer and chisel.
- Vacuum or sweep the debris away. Ensure you have a smooth even surface.
- Prepare your cement and evenly spread it in the open area using a “toothed” cement spreader.
- Drop the new tile gently in place at a flat angle. Do no insert it at an acute angle.
- Line the tile up with the edges and press down evenly so that it is flush with its matching tiles.
- Allow 24 hours for the cement to dry.
- Pre-mix your grout according to the product instructions
- Apply the grout using a grout float applying it against the seam of the tile. This will ensure it fills in the holes adequately.
- Leave for 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe away the remaining film of grout to clean the tile. Be careful not to wipe away any in the filled in lines.
- Wait a few hours and clean the tile with a damp cloth.
- Wait 24 hours before you walk on the tile.
- You can add a grout sealant at this point if desired. This can help prevent water damage.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.