How to trim a door
There is nothing worse than a door that continuously catches on the floor. We have a how to project for you to trim that door when it swells up and catches.
What you will need:
- Steel ruler
- Wax Crayon
- Mutton Cloth
- Establish where the door is swollen or what part of the door is causing the jam. Check both the bottom of the door and jamb (the vertical frame where the door shuts). However you should only have to fix one of these.
- If you are unsure rub some wax crayon on what you think is the problem area – if the colour transfers to other parts when you move the door then this confirms that that area is the problem.
- Using a screwdriver remove the door from its hinges.
- Place the door in a level position with the area you need to smooth down in an upright position.
- Set the planer to the lowest setting and ensure when you begin planing it is perfectly parallel to the surface. You can check this using a leveler.
- Place the ruler on the planed surface. If it doesn’t sit flush plane the area some more.
- Re-attach the door to the hinge.
- It should swing freely and without hassle now.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.