Make A Rustic Log Planter Box
Wooden planter boxes look great in most gardens and offer a touch of informal elegance. When it comes to building your own planter boxes, you truly are spoilt for choice. Today we’re looking at how to make your own rustic log planter box!
You will need
- 7 logs, 2.4m long
- Landscape cloth or weed barrier
- Potting soil
- Plants of your choice
What to do
- To begin, cut your logs down to size. Using a wood saw, cut 5 logs in half, so you have 10 equal pieces. Then saw your remaining 2 logs into quarters (in half and again in half), so you end up with 8 equal pieces.
- Start construction by laying out 4 of your longer logs lengthwise and then 2 of your shorter pieces across, 1 on either end.
- Using a power drill, secure your shorter pieces to the longer logs beneath it by countersinking and exterior wood screw at an angle into the 4 logs.
- Next ad 2 of your longer pieces down lengthwise again to start forming the longer sides of your planter and secure to the 2 shorter pieces below it using exterior wood screws as before.
- Continue doing this until your run out of log pieces.
- Next, line your box’s inside edges and bottom with the landscape cloth / weed barrier. Secure it in place using craft staples. Leave some slack so that it can support the large volume of soil without tearing.
- Now move your planter box to your desired location, as it will be heavy once the soil is in it.
- Now fill your box with potting soil and place your plants, tap the soil down firmly and water.
- Finally, cover the top layer with mulch.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.