Show Your Heart
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, you could go the traditional route and give your loved one flowers, chocolate, champagne or even a teddy bear, but none of these will be as special as something you made yourself. Today we show you how to make cool DIY heart shaped wall art and show you care!
What you’ll need:
- Wood pallet boards (removed, cleaned and sanded)
- Paint (your choice of colour)
What to do:
- Place your loose, clean and sanded boards on the floor. Measure the size and draw half a heart on folded newspaper and cut the shape out so you have a full heart when unfolded. Next, trace this onto your wood with a pencil.
- Separate the wood pieces and cut along the lines on each plank with a jigsaw or scroll saw. As always, ensure that you are putting safety first.
- Give your planks another quick clean and sanding to get them ready for painting.
- If you want a more rustic appearance, you don’t need to prime, however if you want a neat finish, you should apply a white primer to all your wood pieces and let it dry.
- This is where you can get creative and apply your topcoat. You can choose to paint all the boards black in chalkboard paint for a fun place to write on. Another idea is to paint each plank in a different colour for a gradient effect between light pink and deep red.
- Apply several coats as necessary and once happy, allow your planks to dry completely before continuing with the next step – assembly!
- Arrange your heart on the floor again, this time face down and attach 3 wood pieces (which you can use from your pallet as well). Make sure to have all the planks connected with said back pieces, glue them on using wood glue. To offer further security, screw these onto the back as well.
- Finally, add a picture hanging hardware to the back and hand in your desired location.
- Done! Now you just need to surprise your loved one!
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.