Add Some Rustic Charm With This DIY Shelf
Rustic décor seems to be all the rage these days and why shouldn’t it be? It can look great! This is especially true when juxtaposed with ultra-modern décor features. The good news is that you don’t need to spend a fortune on factory-produced rustic charm, you can do it yourself. Try our rustic recycled belt shelf!
What you will need:
- 2 reclaimed wooden planks about 12x70cm (the actual size isn’t as important as having the 2 planks be the same size)
- 2 – 4 long leather belts
- Carpet nails
- Measuring tape
- Mark about 5cm in from either side of the 2 boards. Do this on the top and the bottom side of your planks.
- Strap your belts together so that you have 2 equal loops with a circumference of around 150cm.
- Position the first plank and align the loops to the 5cm marks. If you like, you can move the belts around till the buckles are in your desired position.
- Once you have the belts in the desired place, hold the belts so they don’t move. Now turn the plank over so the bottom is facing upwards. Hammer three nails into the belt, ensuring it stays aligned to the 5cm marks. Do this on both belts. If there are no belt holes, you might need to drill holes before continuing with this step.
- If drilling is required: Mark where you need holes on the belts, remove them from the plank and drill holes through the belts. Now place them on the belt again, aligning with your 5cm marks, and hammer the three nails through the holes, into the wood.
- Now the flip the board over again with the front edge facing you. Hammer 1 nail through both belts, into the front of the board. This secures the belts in place.
- Lay the shelf on its side and position the other board around 25cm above the first. Again, align the belts to the 5cm marks. Pull the belts tight and hammer a nail into the front of the top board. Make sure the boards are both level as you do this. Repeat again at the back.
- Make sure the loops are identical in length and then it’s time to hang! Using a spirit level, make sure your boards are level against the wall. Now use a long nail and hammer through the tip back of your belt loops.
- Done! Simply add the items you want to display and enjoy.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.