How to build a toilet roller shelf
Did you know that the average person spends around 18 months over their lifetime in the bathroom? With this in mind, you’d probably want to make the space as useful and comfortable as possible, right? Take your toilet roll holder from average to amazing by turning it into a space to hold much more that just the toilet roll. Today we’re helping you build a toilet roll shelf, perfect for books, trinkets, air fresheners and more!
What you will need:
- Measuring tape
- 140x19mm pine board
- Combination square
- Drill bit
- 30mm screws
- Wood filler
- Putty knife
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint brush
- Spirit level
- 2 x “L” brackets
- 4 x Nylon wall anchors (optional)
- Start by marking and cutting the pine board with 2x 300mm lengths for the sides and 2x 260mm lengths for the base and top.
- Clamp the sides of the shelf together with a clamp that can reach at least 300mm. Now drill guide holes.
- Once done, screw the structure together.
- To conceal the screws, take a little wood filler and cover it. Use your putty knife to smooth it out.
- To make sure that the filler is nice and flat with the surface, use your sandpaper to sand it down. Be sure to let the filler dry thoroughly before.
- Using your acrylic paint and paintbrush, give your shelf a few coats of paint – until you’re satisfied with the finish.
- Before hanging your shelf, you should mark the wall over your existing toilet roll holder. Take your spirit level and make marks 20mm above your toilet holder and 110mm on either side from the centre.
- Line up your “L” brackets, one at a time, with the marks you made on the wall and screw them in.
- Finally, take your shelf and place it onto the wall, resting on the “L” brackets. Drill shallow guide holes and screw your shelf onto the “L” brackets.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.