DIY Outside Citronella Candles
Be prepared for this summer and make your own Citronella candles. Don’t let mosquitos and other biting insects spoil your evening in the garden. Follow these easy steps for your own DIY Citronella candles.
You will need:
- Mason jars (size of your choice)
- Pre-made wicks
- Cooking pot
- Metal mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Heavy-duty tape
- Soy wax
- Citronella oil (three drops)
- Place your jars on a flat surface.
- Cut pieces of wick to the bottom of each jar using your heavy-duty tape.
- Once the wicks are fixed into position, make sure you leave a little bit of length to the wick. This extra bit can be tied to a stick or pencil that can be placed on top of the jar to avoid the wick from falling into the jar when the wax mixture is poured into it.
- Set the oven at a low temperature and place the jars in the oven until the wax is ready to be poured into them. This will ensure the wax will cool evenly.
- Taking your wax, which will be in solid form place into your metal mixing bowl.
- In your cooking pot, place a good amount of water into it, enough that when you place the metal bowl into the pot the water touches the base.
- The wax will start melting. Once completely melted add in your Citronella oil.
- Using your spoon, slightly mix the oil and wax so it is evenly distributed.
- Once the mix is ready and still warm start to slowly pour in the mixture into each jar and leave to set and harden.
- Once the mixture is solid cut the wicks to about 5cm from the surface of the candle.
- Enjoy your new candles!
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.