How to hang a door
Learn how to a hang a door with the greatest of ease. Follow our step-by-step instructions and you too can do this simple DIY project.
What you will need:
- A door of your choice
- Butt gauge
- Determine which way your door is going to be hung – right or left hand sided. A hinge will be added to the right of a right-hand door and vice versa. Also consider where the handle of the door will be and which way it will face – this must always be determined from the outside facing side of the door.
- Put the flange of the butt gauge against the side of the door. Mark off the position where you want to attach the hinge by scratching with a penknife.
- Determine the width of your choice of hinge and set your gauge to this measurement.
- Apply the gauge to the side of the doorway and mark this same measurement here to match the hinges.
- Ensure you have accounted for a small amount of space to be left for the door clearance.
- Ensure you use stronger hinges for heavy doors. Taller doors might require 3 hinges.
- Screw in hinges on the side of the door and then to the corresponding side of the door. Ensure the door is elevated as to not bend the screws.
- Once all the screws are in place swing the door a few times to ensure that it is level, sturdy and does not brush against the floor.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.