How to make your home child safe
Children are precious and it’s our responsibility to create a safe environment for them. Learn how to make your home safe for your child(ren) with this how to.
What you will need:
- Child-Resistant Cabinet
- Child-Resistant Doorknobs
- Locking Storage Cabinets
- Wood Chips
- Buoyant Life Ring
- Gate Locks
- Electrical Outlet Covers
- Locking Metal Boxes
- Fill Dirt
- Screw and Bolt caps
- First Aid Kit
- Self-Latching Gate Latches
- Toilet Lid Locks
- Stairway Gates
- Soft Swing Seats
- Pea Gravel
- Smoke Alarms
- Keyed Locks
- Electric Drill
- Paint Scrapers
- Pool Alarm
- Cordless Phone
In the kitchen and bathrooms:
- Install child-resistant locks on all cupboards
- Put chemicals and cleaners in higher cupboards, out of reach of children.
- Some spices and even non-poisonous detergents can be harmful, so ensure these are out of reach too.
- Ensure that medicine, ointments and even insect repellents are out of reach.
- Keep electrical equipment and cords out of the way.
- When cooking ensure that you turn pot handles away from the edge of the stove
- Do not use tablecloths – children can easily tug this and hot food can come crashing down on them.
- Install toilet lid locks on all toilets.
- When bathing your child never leave them unattended.
- Fit covers over all electrical outlets
- Install smoke alarms in all rooms
- At the top and bottom of stairs install gates that can lock.
- Lock all doors where you don’t want children to enter.
- Remove all toxic plants from the household.
- Remove all firearms from your house – or ensure they are locked away in a safe.
- Check for and remove all poisonous plants as well as plants that attract bees
- Ensure no fencing is sharp, protruding or rusting that could injure a child
- Fix holes or decaying wooden boards to prevent places children can fall through.
- Ensure fertilizers, saws, lawnmowers and sharp tools are safely in a locked shed.
- Ensure pool areas are fenced off or have a pool net. Always ensure there is adult supervision around the pool area.
- Keep pool chemicals locked away.
- Have a buoyant device near the pool.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.