How to stain wood
Give old wooden furniture or a piece of raw wood furniture a new look with a stain. Learn how to stain wood here.
What you will need:
- Stain – colour/ strength of your choice
- Oxalic acid
- Protective gloves
- Eye protection
- Mineral spirits
- Mutton cloth/Lint-free cloth
- Before you begin staining, test the colour of the stain on the underside of your furniture or on a separate piece of wood.
- Also test how many coats of the stain you will need to achieve the desired shade.
- Clean the area you want to stain
- Remove any old varnish by placing damp mutton cloths over it and ironing. The varnish will melt and stick to the cloths.
- Remove the leftover varnish with paint stripper, scraper and some light sanding.
- Clean the surface again and begin painting the stain on evenly, allowing time to dry in between each coat.
- Finish off the wood with a varnish.
- Enjoy your revamped furniture.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.