How to replace a light fixture
Replacing a light fixture can do wonders in transforming a room. From classic chandeliers to modern, minimalist fittings, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to new light fittings.
What you will need:
- New fixture – this should come with all the screws and/or bolts you need.
- Before you can even think of starting, make sure to turn off the electricity.
- You should now remove the cover and light bulb from your existing fixture.
- Loosen all the screws or nuts that are holding the fixture base to the ceiling box.
- Carefully lower the base and remove the wire nuts from the live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth (green/yellow) wires.
- Now you can go ahead and attach the wires to the new fixture with the wire nuts. Make sure to connect the wires in the correct slot.
- Raise the fixture and position the new base plate in position. Now screw the new bolts through it to attach it to the mounting strap.
- Finally, screw in the light bulb(s), install the cover, turn the power on and enjoy.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.