Make a Shelf out of an Old Door
Have an old door lying around? Don’t throw it away! Rather give it a new lease on life by turning it into a decorative shelf fit for any room with this fun DIY project.
What you will need:
- A door
- Circular saw
- Screw driver
- Thirteen 90° metal L brackets
- A decorative doorknob
- The first step is to cut the door in half using your circular saw. Top tip – measure and measure again before you cut!
- Secure the 2 halves of the door at a 90° angle using clamps. You’ll need an assistant for this step.
- Screw in 5 of the 90° brackets to the back. This will hold the 2 door pieces together.
- Cut 4 shelves out of your particleboard to fit into the door measurements.
- Once cut, secure your shelves in place using 2 of the 90° brackets under each one.
- Sand down any rough edges with your sandpaper.
- After you’ve wiped down the entire unit, paint it any colour you like.
- Fasten your decorative doorknob into place and you’re done!
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.