Make a double bed wooden headboard
What you will need:
- 2 pieces of 144 x 22 x 2.4m pine (Planed All Round)
- 2 pieces of 44 x 44 x 1.8m pine (Planed All Round)
- 2 pieces of 44 x 22 x 1.8m pine (Planed All Round)
- 6 x 30mm dowels
- Wood glue
- Paint finish of your choice
- Drill and drill bits
- Countersink bit
- Steel rule 600mm
- Jigsaw or circular saw
- Orbital sander and120- and 240-grit sanding paper
- Tape measure
- Your main beams need to be about 1470 – 1490mm to accommodate a double bed. Each leg is 44×44 = 1 382mm. Make a curve for the top beam of the bed, then place the two blocks as follows – one must be 30mm from the edge and the other needs to be 150mm in from the end; the other 65mm down from the top corner.
- Using your steel rule mark your curve in pencil.
- Use a jigsaw to cut the curve and smooth is over. Keep the offcuts to help spread the load when camping.
- Use your router to round off the edge for a classy finish.
- Bevel the top of each leg in order for the beams meet the leg.
- Cut all your 205mm spacers to length then space equally and mark their position.
- Mark the centre line in each one using your gauge. Now drill two 16mm-deep holes in each end for the dowels to be inserted into. This creates the joint.
- Drill all the holes in one spacer and then insert brass points. Place the spacer into position and press it against the join. The indentations indicate where to drill.
- Mark each join to its pair to ensure perfect alignment.
- Use the first pair of dowels to position the holes for the second set, and repeat.
- Once all holes are drilled, glue each dowel, using clamps, to finish the joins.
- Let the glue set and glue two spacers to the back of the headboard as well as another one to each leg.
- Attach the legs using the method above to secure the frame.
- Your headboard should now be finished and ready to make your bedroom look lovely.
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.