Make and install your own shelving
Add some extra storage or display shelves to your walls with this easy guide to making and installing your own shelves.
What you will need:
- 44 x 44mm SA Pine
- 2 x 8mm Shield wall anchors
- 2 x 25mm Dowels
- 185mm Circular saw
- 25mm Spade drill bit
- Cordless drill/driver or Power Drill – 760W Drill
- Cut the 44 x 44mm Pine into to two using a 185mm circular saw.
- Clamp the two pieces together using the c-clamp and mark off a drilling point across both boards measuring at 100mm centres aligning down the centre of each beam.
- Drill each hole with a 25mm spade bit, only drill half way on one side and turn board over to complete the hole. This will prevent wood from chipping.
- With two of the holes drill the hole until the drill bit just about penetrates the bottom surface. This refers to one per beam and about three-quarters of the way to the top. Complete this hole with the hole made for the shield wall anchors.
- Place the uprights into position up against the wall mark off the posts for the shield anchors.
- Drill the two marked off holes and secure the uprights to the wall.
- Once holes are drilled measure the 25mm dowels and cut to length.
- Lightly tap the dowels into the holes at the desired intervals.
- Once secured slide the shelves into position to secure.
- Your shelf is now ready to use!
Terms and conditions:
DIY Depot is committed to carrying a wide range of building supplies, DIY products and much more! We pride ourself in providing the very best DIY advice and service. However, some of our member stores may not always stock an entire product range advertised on our DIY projects. But do not fret! If your nearest DIY Depot runs low on stock or if you cannot find something we will gladly assist! Feel free to contact us on our customer care line and we will do our best to source the product you need. You can contact our customer care page here or call us on our customer care line 0860 DIY DEPOT.